“Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love.” -Hamilton Wright Mabie
This is probably Mr. Mabie’s most famous quote and it was recently associated with a blog post about Yule that I had come across. I was simply astonished because Yule or the Christmas season is a very specific time when everyone sure enough decides to open their minds and bodies to allow the holiday spirit enter their hearts. Hamilton Wright Mabie (1846-1916) was an American essayist.
According to Witchvox Central in an article about Yule (Winter Solstice)
Yule is the time of greatest darkness and the longest night of the year. The Winter Solstice had been associated with the birth of a “Divine King” long before the rise of Christianity. Since the Sun is considered to represent the Male Divinity in many Pagan Traditions, this time is celebrated as the “return of the Sun God” where He is reborn of the Goddess
I certainly believe this time of year opens people to want to love especially since it is a time to rejoice no matter how you see it, the sun is coming back for spring and we celebrate that through either praying to Jesus, setting up the nativity in our homes, or worshiping “the birth of a ‘Diving King.'”
Nonetheless, I overlook the details because it is about the essentials. And the essentials here are that there is a reborn, child-like state of innocence entering the world again. It is the highest peak of darkness and so we can rejoice for the coming season of Spring which solidifies rebirth. This instinctive feeling of winter ending brings us closer and warmer. Hence love for one and all and why not in front of a fire.
So I would like to share with you all the gift of winter warm-ups so that you can feel the conspiracy of love during this blessed season.
- Go out and buy some delicious hot cocoa– If you don’t like hot chocolate than tea
- Put on some sweatpants, socks, and wear a big sweater– Comfy clothes are a must
- Make your yummy drink– If others are around offer them some Yule-ness
- Crawl up in bed or a chair/sofa with a blanket-Feel how the blanket surrounds your body
- Lay your hands in your lap and just sit/lay there in the present moment– You can play relaxing music or have a Christmas movie on
- Just feel the Yule spirit around you-Take note of the sounds, feelings, colors, and tastes from the experience
- If you like to read, write, or watch movies do that– Also remember to drink your drink *Don’t burn your tongue*
- When you experience these art forms during this time, allow your mind to wander– Place yourself in the character’s shoes or reflect on your year
- You may also use this time to meditate or do a lovely card reading-The goal is relaxation and self-observation
- Choose 1 word to describe what you’ve experienced and carry this word into the New Year with you-This can be a seed to plant in the spring by making a New Year’s resolution, so that by Harvest time you can reap the benefits of this remarkable realization
I have created this winter workout so that you can enjoy the holiday season without the negative things that come along during a rather depressive and dark time. Truly, tis the season is about self-evaluation and contemplation. Explore the inner depths of your soul and feel the love spark a cozy fire. I hope this helped you as it helped me when I am in a slush of brown snow.